Learning and Development
Sesa takes immense pride in its Learning and Development initiatives. Some of the major L & D activities are described below:
- Management Development Programmes for GETs: Sesa tied up with a reputed management institute in Goa, one among the top 20 in the country, to equip its young engineers with necessary tools and techniques to be effective frontline managers. Various areas such as communication, team building and project management are covered. Separate modules on various aspects of management and behavioural skills are conducted simultaneously for the remaining executives to take care of skills gaps.
- Training on Structured Problem Solving Approach: Sesa started an initiative through which it has started to equip employees with the tools and techniques of Structured Problem Solving, which, apart from helping them solve chronic problems in their work areas is also expected to help them in identifying improvement opportunities.
- Proactive Work Ethos and Attitudinal Change Programme: The programme was targeted at workmen and aimed to motivate them to align their personal values to the organisation's values. Inputs were provided on behaviours and attitudes in both personal and professional contexts. The overall objective was to enable employees realise their fullest human potential. Over 300 employees of the Sesa Resources Mines units were covered under this initiative, along with workmen from the existing Sesa units.
- Communities of Practice: Sesa Goa has created a Community of Practice in Mining for its employees as an effort towards shared learning, specifically for employees who have an educational background in Mining and are involved in Mining Operations (including Exploration, Mine Planning and Logistics). The forum is entirely professional and is used to share experiences and knowledge, discuss new trends, solve work-related problems, learn and share best practices and develop members' skills. Community affairs progress through meetings, email networks and reviews. The same concept will soon be extended to other areas such as logistics.
- Technical Training: To accelerate the learning of, and also to derive maximum synergies from the young professionals spread across the Company; Sesa has started an initiative to provide modular training on the various technical aspects of the business to all professionals in the Company with less than 5 years of experience. The training covers the basics of our mining, pig iron and met coke business, and our in-house technical experts deliver the sessions. All new joinees hired as freshers from various campuses are given this training as a part of their induction programme.
- Self Nomination:To ensure that employees are given a chance to direct their own learning and development, Sesa started an initiative whereby each Staff member could nominate themselves for various training programmes by sending a mail directly to Corporate Human Resources. This allowed each employee to plan their training in advance keeping in mind their work schedules, thus also improving participation and overall effectiveness of the programmes.